Monday, September 22, 2008

I found it!

The second week of my TreeHugger education is "Eating Your Way Green." I have to admit, I had already jump started this several weeks ago when I discovered there was a Farmer's Market across the street from our apartments on Saturday mornings. I have also been trying to eat more organic and less processed for a while.

However, it was not until last Sunday that I made my first trip to the local Co-op (Outpost Natural Foods). I was like a kid in a candy store. All this organic and natural stuff in one place! This trip was actually inspired by a previous visit to the Co-op in Decorah, IA (where Dr. Green resides during the weeks), where I had found real bread (not the spongy grocery store variety) and real soup. I knew there must be something like that in my neck of the woods. And sure enough!!

I strolled merrily down the aisles until I came to the dairy section. My favorite! I checked out the large variety of cheeses (reminding myself that I already had an almost untouched piece of Havarti at home), marveled at the fact that they actually had three different brands of Kefir, and then, I saw it...

Traditional European Style Yogurt
I thought to myself, "This is too good to be true...." I had been searching for something at least closely resembling Swedish yogurt since I first emigrated 13 years ago, with no luck.
I performed the first verification step: Check sugar content. Only 13 grams per serving in the Raspberry variety. Check! US yogurt typically has twice that.
"Made with live cultures." That's always good...
"From the makers of: America's Best Yogurt." OK, this is sounding really promising!
"100% grass-fed." Bingo!
I took it home. I did a taste test. It was wonderful.
I'm on my second bottle.
Going green rocks!

No comments: