Wednesday, April 04, 2007

"Change is the watchword of progression"

This is the "fortune" that I got tonight in the fortune cookie that came with my highly depressing dinner from "Super Buffet."

The phrase intrigued me, so I went online to find out more. The origin of the phrase lies with Ella Wheeler Wilcox, American poet, writer, and journalist. Never heard of her. Probably never will hear of her again.

I am a big fan of change. Especially when it comes to church. All the churches I have attended in the past 12 years or so have been boring when it comes to music. So I have tried to institute change. With more and less success. Sometimes I just get tired. Why does it have to be so hard to get people to embrace fun music. I don't get it...

Anyway, back to Ella Wheeler Wilcox. She has some other quotes... I found one that I really like:

So many gods, so many creeds--
So many paths that wind and wind
While just the art of being kind
Is all the sad world needs.

Isn't it so awesome!?!?!? That is all the world needs. Just a little kindness. I'm not very good at that sometimes. Maybe I'll make tomorrow a kind day. The kind of day where everybody gets a smile whether I like them or not. The kind of day when I write nice emails instead of short and demanding emails. The kind of day when I encourage instead of push down. I think it's a plan.

On another note - my parents went back to Sweden today. It's sad. My mom tried to bring large containers of toothpaste through security. I told her it wouldn't work. She said she could use her smiling powers to get it through. I said it doesn't work like that here. I was right.

So I did something kind: I went to the airport store and bought her some toothpaste. Now she can have clean teeth all the way to Sweden.

No comments: