Wednesday, April 29, 2009

April Donations

At the beginning of the year, I wrote a post about giving where I announced that in 2009, our family would be organized about our giving. Since then, I have blogged each month about the recipients of our monthly donations. Today, it is time for the April edition.

Continuing with the March donations' theme, we continue to give our share to institutions of higher education with which we are associated:

Luther College is a quaint liberal arts college tucked away in the small town of Decorah, IA. My husband, Todd, currently serves this college as a visiting assistant professor. He teaches church history and related topics. I have had the pleasure to visit Luther on several occasions and I love it! What I love most about Luther is the culture of sustainability that is infused into every aspect of this school. From a fleet of electric utility vehicles to serving organic food to extensive recycling programs, Luther is in every sense a green school. You can read more about Luther's commitment to a sustainable campus here. With all this greenness, I can't really hold it against Luther that the college was founded by Norwegians (internal Swede/Norwegian joke...).

Columbia Theological Seminary is the Presbyterian seminary in Decatur, GA where Todd received is second (of four) higher education degrees (I'm so behind!). This place holds a special place in our heart as it was the first place we lived as newlyweds as well as the birthplace of our daughter, Rebecka. While law schools and medical schools generally do not lack funding, seminaries generally do not fare as well. It is important to us to continue to give back to this school who provided us with so much, including our first apartment with a real kitchen and friends for life.

I have found that among its other benefits, giving liberates the soul of the giver.
- Maya Angelou

No comments: