Saturday, April 04, 2009

Simple Weight Loss Tips That Work

As I mentioned in the last couple of posts, I am working on getting back to my normal weight after having had just a few too many "special occasion" desserts and forgetting about weight management best practices.

The good news is that after three days, I'm just a pound away from my normal weight (lost about 2.5 pounds)! I am by no means a proponent of rapid weight loss. I'm actually quite surprised that I was able to shed the pounds this quickly. But I thought I'd share my techniques, because if you're also looking to lose a couple of pounds, this really works...
  • Reduce sugar intake. This is key. Sugar is evil and does bad things to your body. I did this by cutting out obvious sweets (ice cream, candy, desserts) and replacing higher sugar foods with lower (or natural) sugar foods (Cheerios instead of Bumpers, banana instead of granola Bar, peanut butter instead of butter and preserves, etc). The first day is hard, if you're an addict like I am, but then it gets progressively easier.
  • Drink water before and after each meal. Water fills you up and also helps with digestion. You'll feel great!
  • Make dinner your smallest meal. Load up on breakfast and lunch and eat something light for dinner. I like to toss spinach with whatever is available in the fridge (left-over peas, avocado, pine nuts, cherry tomatoes, feta, apples, pears, cucumber, carrots) and top it with a tablespoon of Newman's Own Lighten Up Balsamic Vinaigrette. It's better than most restaurant salads out there. Add a slice of toast and some cottage cheese, and you're all set.
  • Eat dinner at least two hours before bedtime. This is another key best practice that I've found works like a charm. Your body needs some time to break that food down before it goes into hibernation mode.
  • Don't eat anything after dinner. This may seem obvious based on the previous bullet, but I wanted to call it out. The late-night snack can ruin an entire day of "being good." Not worth it!
  • Get enough sleep. This is the one I have the hardest time with (there just aren't enough hours in the day!), but something that experts claim to be true. Good, quality sleep actually helps you burn more calories. There are many studies on this, like this one from Web MD.

Pretty easy, right? Try it for a week and see how you feel. You obviously want to continue with whatever exercise program you're on or start moving if you're not. Exercise is good for both the body and the soul. You're depriving yourself if you don't allow your body to move and get your heart pumping.

Well, I'm off to the gym with Todd.

No comments: