Wednesday, August 22, 2007

No News is Good News?

For me, news has been really good for a really long time. This is because I have received no news since they stopped showing the news in the YMCA Cardio Cinema in the mornings.

I don't read papers, I don't surf the web, I don't watch TV (other than VH1 while I'm working out), I don't listen to news on the radio. The only news I get is what I am able to scan as I step over the USA Today lying outside my hotel door every morning.

Lately, I have sensed that my lack of news (good or bad) is hampering my ability to participate in various conversations. Not good. So...

...this week I decided to make strides towards getting more news:

  1. I started picking up the newspaper outside my door and glanced at the headlines a little more closely than is possible when just stepping over it.
  2. I made my browser home-page CNN.com. However, after a couple of days I realized that it didn't really have the kind of news that I was interested in. I really don't care if Amy Winehouse was injured by herself or by her husband. Just leave the poor girl alone - obviously she has issues (but a great sound!).
  3. So I switched to svt.se, a Swedish media site. But it was all plastered with sports - again, not really my thing.
  4. Now I'm trying BBC. I will let you know how that goes.

I have this fear that eventually, I will end up settling on a geek news site. Maybe it's my destiny.

Who is this Vick guy anyway?

No comments: