Friday, November 28, 2008

Give the Gift of a Sustainable Future

'Tis the Season for Giving... Right? But what if you don't need more stuff? What if your friends and family don't need more stuff? What then?

Oh, I'm glad you asked... I'm planning to dedicate a few blog posts to good ways to use your saved-up holiday money this year and in years to come.

Today, I'll feature the organization Heifer International. The motto of this group is "Ending Hunger, Caring for the Earth" with the simple goal of ending poverty. I firmly believe they have an approach that works. Essentially, they help people obtain a sustainable source of food and income through education and donations of animals while striving to preserve the earth. And my favorite part: "Passing on the Gift" means that people who receive animals commit to passing on the offspring of their animals (and the knowledge involved with raising animals) to others.

Heifer has all sorts of fun ways to help out. You can fund a specific project with a monetary donation, go on a tour of their work, create a registry, etc. It only takes a few minutes to create an online registry where your friends and family can purchase anything from ducks to llamas in your honor. I think this is so cool!

If you are interested, here is a link to my registry: http://www.heifer.org/myregistry/tabita

Keep sharing the wealth...

No comments: