Wednesday, December 22, 2004

pepparkakor och saffransbröd



Today was the day of the annual pepparkaksbak at the Green house. The aroma of gingerbread and saffron filled the kitchen early in the morning when I first prepared the gingerbread dough and lingers still after the last gingerbread snowman has been laid to rest in the big rubbermaid container...

There were several mishaps - of course. First of all, I think my kitchen scale isn't really working too well... So I ended up with way too much flour in the gingerbread dough. So much flour, in fact, that I broke my 10+ year-old ladle as I was trying to stir it... Not good. But somehow they turned out just fine. Also, I assumed that the saffron that my mom sent me last year (it's so "cheap" in Sweden) was finely ground... Well, it wasn't - so the lussekatter (saffron bread) ended up with small specks of saffron in it. Again - taste just fine - so who cares!?!?

Rebecka was a great helper and even dried some dishes for me(!) She's trying to be good about chores so that we will let her have a dog after the summer. Hmmm... We're pretty much screwed. If we don't get her a dog, she'll probably cry for a year - and that would not be fun.

The little dog in "As Good As It Gets" is cute. I could probably handle one of those. Of course, it would have to be just as well-trained. That is a requirement for sure. They're called Brussels Griffons and apparently there were six of them in the movie... Why do you need six dogs to play one dog in a movie?? I can see using two - but six? Weird...

"It is affectionate, willful and high-strung, but charming." Sound like anyone you know?? :)

2 comments:

Balaji said...

Good god! That dog has a mop for a face. Get a labrador. I just promised myself to get one when I can afford it. They are just adorable as puppies and as friendly as any dog will ever get when they get bigger.
And boy oh boy... what kind words you have for fluffy! Affectionate and charming!? Did you guys call a truce?

Tabita said...

But they're so cute!!! And we kinda have to get a small dog because we live in a little condo...

Ah hahaha - I was actually jokingly talking about myself! :) But I guess it could work for Fluffy - at least the two middle attributes...