Saturday, February 07, 2009

A Great Saturday Morning

As soon as I woke up, I knew something was different. As I gained consciousness, I realized what it was. First, I wasn't exhausted and second, I wasn't freezing. I literally jumped out of bed, got dressed in my workout clothes and went to release Sophie from her captivity in the bathroom.

I decided a walk with the dog was in order. I bundled up as usual and stepped outside. It was amazing. For the first time in months, I didn't feel cold outside. In fact, it felt just right. Sophie and I jogged merrily down streets wet from the melting snow. I took some deep breaths and marveled about being able to inhale without coughing from the cold.

Next, it was time for the pre-workout snack of bumpers, banana, and milk. I enjoyed reading a few chapters of Power of Less by Leo Babauta, the author of the zenhabits blog. Once the food was at least somewhat digested, I headed over to the workout room. It was empty (that's the way (aha aha), I like it (aha aha)). I enjoyed a leisurely workout accompanied by VH1 (love the song Lucky - Rebecka is downloading it for me):
  • 10 minute warm-up on treadmill
  • abs
  • 10 minute run on treadmill
  • preventive physical therapy for my finicky knees
  • 10 minute cool-down on treadmill
  • 2 x upper body weight circuit
  • stretch

Aaaahhhhhh...

When I got back to the apartment, I fixed breakfast and ate it while finishing a chapter called "Time" in The Simple Living Guide by Janet Luhrs. More on that tomorrow. By this time, Rebecka had crawled out of bed and it seemed like a good time for a "15 minute tidy." It's amazing how much you can get done very quickly if you give yourself a time limit. I ended going over the time by a few minutes, but within 30 minutes our entire apartment was decluttered and clean. I love living in a small space more than I can express.

The shower was waiting for me, so I lit a candle, turned off the overhead light and took a soothing shower. Aaaaaahhhhh... (again) At this point, it was time for more food, so I made smoothies for me and Rebecka. Smoothies are such a good power food, because they fill you up, taste great, and are good for you. How's that for a great Saturday morning?

If only Todd were here, this would be a perfect morning.

No comments: