Saturday, February 21, 2009

Nature Gym Fun

I am in the process of enjoying the book The Simple Living Guide: A Sourcebook for Less Stressful, More Joyful Living by Janet Luhrs. One of the chapters is called Health and Exercise. The most interesting concept in this chapter is that of the Nature Gym. This is where you get a new attitude toward chores like mowing the lawn or mopping the floors by realizing the health benefits of physical activity. Or said a different way, the gym does not have monopoly on calorie-burning opportunities.

I had an opportunity to visit the Nature Gym today. Decorah, Iowa experienced a fair amount of snow fall last night (which I drove through and almost slid off the road at one point...) and we woke up to a winter wonderland (once again!). Todd took the first shoveling shift to get us out of the driveway and to the gym (pretty ironic, right...?). However, when we got back, the plow truck had dumped a bunch of snow back onto the lower part of the driveway. Inspired by the Nature Gym concept, I volunteered to take care of it. It was an awesome workout. I'm pretty sure I'll be sore tomorrow in muscles I didn't know I had. And it was fun and refreshing at the same time!

OK, I'm not giving up going to the gym (especially since it currently comes "for free" with our apartment), but it is good to keep in mind that there are other ways to stay in shape and get work done at the same time.

I work out, therefore I am.

No comments: