Along these lines, I have laid out a plan for my team to make a monthly resolution to embrace a new Product Management habit. Some of these "tasks" we already do, but perhaps not on a regular basis or not as well as we could if we tried really hard.
Here are some of the habits on our list for 2009:
- Weekly customer/potential interviews
- Surveys to quantify feedback obtained in interviews
- Win/Loss analysis
- Validation process (ties in with surveys)
- Create a positioning document for each product/persona/industry
- Competitive Analysis (do it and store it all in one easy-to-reference location)
- Work offsite one day per week
The trick with habits is that you can't create a bunch of habits at once. Leo would say that you should do one at a time. It is so true. The good news is that once you've got a habit down, it becomes second nature and you can start focusing on the next habit without losing the habits you gained previously.
One step at a time...