Sunday, October 17, 2004

to get a cell phone or not to get a cell phone...

...that is not the question for most of my friends.

But I've never had a cell phone... Well, we had a family cell phone once, but I threw away the charger when I got a little carried away during some insane cleaning frenzy, and since then we haven't had one...

Recently, I've found myself in several situations where a cell phone would have been handy indeed. Like the night I was walking home from the Blindside concert and there was a pack of wild dogs blocking the way to my car. Or the lunch a few weeks ago when I thought we were supposed to meet at the restaurant and my friend thought she was supposed to pick me up. Or the time I lost the car key in the park and the only other key to the car was locked in the car. Or the day when a walk around the lake almost didn't happen.

Yes, a cell phone would be nice... But is it worth the money? The cheapest I could find that meets our family's needs is a family plan with T-Mobile for $50 for two lines (and of course, that's not including tax). But to make it simple, that's $600 per year. That's 6 pairs of Brooks Glycerine running shoes. That's also more than half the price of a ticket to Sweden during the summer season.

All that for convenience? Still pondering.

3 comments:

appwiz said...

If you get a cell phone, you should seriously consider using a headset. Studies (google around) have shown that cell phones increase the risk of brain tumors by around 4%.

katie said...

Why don't you consiter getting rid of your landline? (Unless you need it for your internet connection.) That should then save you money. I remember paying 60 or 70 dollars for home phone service and long distance.

Sam said...

Tabita,
Thanks for visiting the tool shed blog. Now we just have to get you over to the real thing. Long live the tool shed!