Tuesday, March 15, 2005

credit card applications and other junk

I just have to express how completely and utterly I hate junk mail - especially credit card applications.

There was a time when we couldn't get a credit card from anybody. We had already passed the college window of opportunity and didn't have an income sufficient to qualify for even the smallest amount of credit. The only reason we wanted one was so that we could sign up for internet and the only method of payment was credit card.

We finally managed to get a credit card through the bank that the church was using (one of the many minister perks) with a limit of $500. Because they helped us in need, we have stuck with them through thick and thin and probably will until we die.

So - back to my point - I spend several minutes every day opening credit card applications and other crap. This includes removing the stupid fake cards from the paper and making sure that the gummy glue is off the paper, because it'll ruin the shredder... Then I analyze what needs to be shredded and what can go straight into the paper recycling. Finally, I shred the stuff that needs to be shredded and recycle the stuff that needs to be recycled.

In my life, every minute is valuable. I hate having to spend precious moments on this worthless activity. I wonder if there is some study out there on how much time the average American spends on this over the course of a life time. Nah - it would be too depressing.

OK - gotta watch the Amazing Race now, so I'll stop bitching.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is a magic place you can supposedly go and get off of credit card application mailing lists. I believe it's a joint 800 number through the big credit reporting agencies.

I think the catch is that anyone who otherwise has a business relationship with you (frequent flyer clubs, etc.) doesn't have to abide by that list. Something like that. I did the opt-out # a while back, but still get applications, mostly from Hilton, Fidelity, where I have other "accounts".

This looks like a useful link... http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/3/1/13940/79585

AnonD