Wednesday, November 17, 2004

hives galore

I went to lunch with my friends Pete and Emi at one of our favorite restaurants, Royal Thai, today. I had my usual Coconut Soup for starters and then the Pad Thai (no chicken, extra tofu).

When I got back to work I sat down and started catching up on emails that had found their way to my inbox during the 1 hour lunch break. As I was sitting there, I started feeling kind of itchy, especially around my ears, neck, and chest. I looked down at my chest as saw big bug bite type red blotches forming all over the place. At that point I got the attention of the other people in the room and asked: "Is it just me, or am I breaking out?"

"Oh my Gosh!" was the response. Yeh - basically all of me, from head to toe was starting to break out into these bizarre hives. I went to the restroom to check out the rest of the body... Not a pretty sight. My boss went out for benadryl (well, actually Wal-dryl) while the others told me I needed to go to the doctor. I gave in and drove down to the dr's office where they took one look at me and pretty much saw me right away. They couldn't really tell me anything, but armed me with Zyrtec and sent me on my way. Funny quote from the nurse: "If you start feeling your throat swell up, this is a medical emergency. That means you need to dial 911." Ok - yeh - got it...

On the way back to the office it all started going away and soon you'd never know that I'd even had this happen.

So now the question is - do I go back to Royal Thai? - do I have the Pad Thai again? Or is this just stress-related? Or what?!?!? Time will tell, I guess. I sure do love Pad Thai.

5 comments:

katie said...

that's horrible! I hope it wasn't Royal Thai! This reminds me of when I discovered that my very favorite juice (grapefruit juice!) eats at my stomach if I drink it in large quantities (=more than 12 ounces). It's hard to say goodbye to such deliciousness!!

Tabita said...

Oh yes indeed - it was Royal Thai. Big tragedy!

Tabita said...

Well, apparenty Hot Wok turned into a Thai place, so I'll have to go check it out...

katie said...

the new hot wok is good. the people are nice. they have a lot of options on their menu. they gave us some free california rolls (or something). I miss getting 2 options for 3.22 though. steamed rice and thai curry!! yum!

Tabita said...

hmmm - when did you go there? did you secretly come to Nashville and not tell me??? ;)